This is the blog of Samie Sands, author of Lockdown. There will be many great books and projects reviewed here. For more, check out thelockdown.co.uk.

Saturday 28 October 2017

Lottie Loves Sample

OPTION-2---GREEN-title-on-center
I held the tears in until lunch time, however difficult it was. They were always there, on the brink of coming out, but I had my pride...and that was all I had left. Not only was Joe not treating me like his girlfriend, he was completely ignoring me. I smiled at him from across the room the first moment I saw him, but he turned away and continued talking to his friends.
At least he had the decency to blush at his terrible treatment of me—not that it made me feel much better.
Emily chased me into the bathroom and begged me to tell her what was wrong. I made up some story about a fight with my mum, just to get her off my back, but I couldn't hide the pain from myself. I’d never considered heartbreak as anything more than an emotional pain before that moment, but there was a physical pain racing through my chest and down into my stomach, as if everything was being torn apart.
How the hell was I supposed to carry on knowing that I could have had you, you’d actually given me a chance, but somehow I’d blown it?
The torture wasn't going to just continue at school either, I couldn't even get away from it at home. His entire family were coming around for dinner, and I would have to at least attempt to act like everything was normal if I didn’t want to be swarmed and bombarded with endless questions. Deep down, in the part of me where my fantasies lay, the ones that I wouldn’t admit to anyone, I’d believed that we would finally make the announcement to our families tonight about us. I assumed that as soon as I stepped into school, all of my self-doubt and fears would be shot down, that Joe would reassure me that everything was fine...yet here I was, in a worse state than before.

27th May 2007

I can’t do it anymore. I can’t be around him. Things were hard enough when I was experiencing unrequited love, but now I know that I could have had it back, but I haven’t, and I have no one to blame for that other than myself.

It broke my heart all over again to read and run my fingers over those words. Of course, I was wrong to be so worried, to be so freaked out about Joe’s reaction, but I wouldn’t learn that until much later on in the evening.
“I can’t come down, mum,” I groaned, faking an illness as I lay in my bed. School had been torture. There was no way that I could do through all of that again. I just needed to be alone. Knowing that he was downstairs would be torture enough, being around him was unthinkable.
“Well...okay, if you’re sure,” she murmured, slightly disbelievingly at me. “I will come and check on you before the Davies come, to see if you’re any better.”
“I won’t be, mum,” I told her, a little more firmly this time. To highlight my point, I gripped tightly onto my stomach and let out a small groan. “I just need to sleep. I would prefer to be left alone.”
But as she left the room, finally giving me the peace I so desperately needed, sleep was the last thing from my mind. My heart was thundering painfully in my chest, anxiety and sadness was coiling through my veins, I felt wide eyed and panicked, and that had no chance of going until he was gone.
All those looks I’d snuck at him throughout the day, just to see him looking the other way, all those tears I’d shed in the toilet, just to see him laughing and joking with his friends as if he had no troubles in the world—I wasn't sure if I would ever be able to forgive him.
At least, I hoped I wouldn’t. Deep down I knew that all I wanted was for him to take me in his arms and to tell me that everything would be okay. I was pathetic and needy for him, and much as it pained me I felt like it would always be that way.
I could hear everything clearly, from the moment Joe’s family entered my home, to the last. I was aware of them chatting over drinks in the front room, I heard them moving into the dining room to eat, I even heard Marie leaving early when the adults remained to have a few more drinks.
Then someone thundered up the stairs, and much to my horror I heard a knocking at the door. I sat bolt upright in bed, lightly rubbing the wetness from my eyes. All the panic that had been flowing through me before became sheer terror, bolting everywhere, damn near sending me insane.
“Who...who’s there?” I asked, fully knowing that it would only be one person. Marie was gone, and our parents were drinking. In my mum’s mind I was probably long forgotten. It was Joe, finally coming to face me, way before I was ready for it.
“It’s me, Lotts, can I come in?”
Just his voice, that was enough to have my cold veneer melting. I did feel shame for how easily I could forgive him, but there was nothing I could do to stop that. “Yes,” I finally replied morosely, forcing myself to sit around to face him. “Come in.”
Guilt was written all over his face as he slunk into my room. He reminded me of the times we would get in trouble when we were kids, and how he seemed to go in on himself, just to attempt to stop his mother yelling at him. It didn’t ever work, but it sort of was with me, I couldn't keep the smile from my lips.
“I’m so sorry for how I’ve been acting, Lotts,” he finally met my eyes, pleading with me. “I just...I didn’t know how to react, it’s all a bit sudden.”
Not to me! I thought, but of course I didn’t say that aloud. I simply nodded silently as a reply, willing him to go on, needing him to tell me everything.
“Last night, it was...”
He perched on the end of my bed next to me, and as a cold icy sensation trickled up and down my spine, it took all that I had not to scoot away from him. Don’t say it, I begged telepathically. Please don't say what I think you’re about to.
“I know, it was a mistake,” I finally spat out, unable to take the tension. Plus I felt like if I said it first it would seem like I wasn't bothered either, and if Joe was about to break my heart I at least wanted to save face. “Let’s just...just forget it...”
“No, no,” he grinned widely, sliding his body closer to me. “No, that wasn't what I wanted to say at all.” He sighed deeply, while I sucked in and held a very deep breath. What the hell was going on now? “I just wanted to say that our parent’s might freak out if they found out about us. Plus everyone at school.” He wasn't saying it aloud, he was trying to tactfully skate around it, but I knew what he meant. We were from different social circles now; he was at the top of the ladder and I was at the bottom. I probably should have been offended by that, but I didn’t even give it a second thought, I was simply waiting desperately for what he was about to say next. “So, maybe we should...keep hanging out in secret?”
Oh. My. God.
I soared higher than air, feeling like everything was finally right with the world again. Joe wanted me, he really did, he just didn’t want any pressure adding to that. Maybe he was right, maybe that was what had destroyed his past relationships, maybe it would be better for both of us. I quite liked the idea of a secret relationship anyway, something that would be there, just for us.
“Okay,” I nodded, finally allowing a big grin to spread across my lips. “Yeah, I like that plan. Keep us a secret.”
He let out a breath that I hadn’t even realised he was holding, before pulling me in for a hug. As my head rested on his chest, all the negativity that had been controlling me all day long simply melted away. It made sense for this to be an easier transition for me—I’d been wanting it forever. It no longer mattered that it would take Joe that much longer to adjust, I didn’t care, he was mine now, and that was all that mattered. We were forever, I just knew it, so what did it matter how we began? With our whole lives ahead of us, this part of us would eventually become insignificant.
I’d been in love with Joe for so long that it was insane, but now it was real. It was substantial, because he was in it too. It may have been confusing, but all of that was worth it, just to have him love me back.

27th May 2007

So, it turns out all that worry was for nothing. Joe snuck up for a quick chat after dinner and we really cleared the air. We’re going to be together, but keep it between us just for now. Then, just before he left, Joe lightly pressed his lips up against mine again in a way that felt incredible.
Our first kiss might have been a little...weird, but this one blew my mind.
Everything is solidified now. We’re going to be just fine.

For More Click Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cincopa Gallery

...