This is the blog of Samie Sands, author of Lockdown. There will be many great books and projects reviewed here. For more, check out thelockdown.co.uk.

Monday 24 February 2014

Girl Z

1. Can you please tell me a bit about yourself and Girl Z?
I’m an award-winning journalist and author. GIRL Z: My Life as a Teenage Zombie is my own take on a zombie outbreak on a smaller geographical scale. Becca and her cousin, Carm, find out about it firsthand when Carm’s brother, Spence, comes home to Wisconsin carrying a deadly secret—he’s becoming a zombie. After being infected by him through an accidental scratch, Becca wakes in a hospital and finds her life completely changed. She’s a part-zombie with a new diet (no, not “that”), all kinds of odd quirks, and a hope to find some kind of “cure” before it’s forever too late…
2. What inspires your work?
A twisted mind? ha! I like to put odd quirks in my stories so you never know what may come out!
3. Who would you want to play as your book’s main characters in the film?
Ooh! Becca says she’s no “Selena Gomez,” but I think that Naya Rivera from Glee could play her perfectly. Seychelle Gabriel (Weeds, The Last Airbender) looks like she’d have the perfect mischievous side to play Becca’s cousin, Carm (short for Carmella). (See 25 Brightest Latina Stars under 25 – http://www.latina.com/entertainment/celebrity/25-brightest-latino-stars-under-25#15)
4. How would you describe your writing style, for someone that has not read your work, in three words?
Quirky. Funny. Different.
5. What do you think makes your writing stand out from the crowd?
I try to take a different approach. While most zombie books involve a lot of fighting the zombies and are more male-oriented, I wanted to show it from the other side—that of a girl not only fighting zombies, but fighting herself, outside prejudices, and dealing with the fear of turning into what she fears most.
6. Who is your favourite author and what is your favourite book?
I have so many favorites! I enjoy reading historical novels, to mysteries and of course, zombie stories and horror. My favorite is probably the book I’m reading at the moment. An old favorite may be Jack Finney’s Time after Time. I try to reread it every now and then. I love the idea of going back in time.
7. How long do you think you would survive in the zombie apocalypse?
Honestly? If I could hole up somewhere I might be okay. (I thought Rick’s old friend in The Walking Dead had the perfect hideout in that second floor with all the booby traps out front to stop the zombies.) Outside, well, I’d need some strong-arm protection.
8. Do you have any future projects you’d like to discuss?
I have many projects going, some involving zombies yet, some in the mystery area, some in the thinking process. I hope to be done with a couple soon. I like to write short and flash fiction too and am coming up with more horror-oriented stories.

http://www.amazon.com/Girl-My-Life-Teenage-Zombie/dp/0979478898/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393239139&sr=8-1&keywords=girl+z

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cincopa Gallery

...